Did you know that:
- 4 million people each year die prematurely due to household air pollution, mostly women and children.
- 3 billion people still cook on an open fire, mostly using wood or dung.
- 50 years after the problem was discovered, outside China only 8% of people have low smoke cooking stoves.
- People in rural areas live on less than £1 per day.
- Despite this poverty, use of mobile phones in poor rural areas has gone from 0% in 2007 to over 50% in 2013.
What is being done to improve health and wealth?
The Score project started in March 2007 with the aim of researching a clean cooking stove that also generates electricity. The research was in two parts, social understanding and technology development.
The original concept used thermo-acoustics to convert heat into sound and then sound to electricity using a linear alternator.